Nine U.S. Marines with Lima Company, 3d Battalion, 2d Marine Regiment, 2d Marine Division, were awarded for their service while providing security for the USNS Comfort during the COVID-19 relief effort as a part of ‘Task Force New York City’. The awards ceremony took place at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina on June 16, 2020.
The list of awardees, and their corresponding awards, follows:
- Gunnery Sgt. Thomas Hebner, company gunnery sergeant – Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal
- 1st Lt. Gerhard Vanarkel, platoon commander – Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal
- Sgt Austin Loppe, squad Leader – Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal (in part for life-saving actions)
- Cpl. Richard Nable, team leader – Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal
- Cpl. Hunter Dillan, team Leader – Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal
- Cpl. Cole Johnson, team leader – Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal
- Lance Cpl. Colton Flach, rifleman – Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal (in part for life-saving actions)
- 1stLt Dan Linfante, Communication Strategy and Operation Officer – Meritorious Mast
- SSgt Andrew Herrera, Platoon Sergeant – Meritorious Mast
“I’m proud of my Marines and everything that they did,” said Gunnery Sgt. Thomas Hebner, company gunnery sergeant, Lima Company, 3d Battalion, 2d Marine Regiment. “Honestly, I just did my job, and I was actually quite surprised that I was awarded.”
For additional imagery, please visit the 2d Marine Division DVIDS link below. For additional details on Lance Cpl. Flach’s and Sgt. Loppe’s awards, which involved life-saving actions, please see the story written by U.S. Navy 2nd Fleet, also linked below.
DVIDS Imagery: https://www.dvidshub.net/image/6242653/operation-gotham-3-2-marines-awarded-relief-efforts-nyc
U.S. Navy 2nd Fleet Story: https://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=112637
For more information about the ceremony, please reach out to 2nd Lt. Kayla Olsen at (910) 451-2066 or firstname.lastname@example.org.